The Pioneer Spirit of Hamlet & Rural Life:
Volunteerism, Participation, Collaboration & Partnerships
The Ardrossan Recreation & Agricultural Society (ARAS) was registered as an agricultural society in 1973. Since Ardrossan began in 1909, residents worked together to meet the growing needs of the rural community. The community built the “Orange Hall” in 1913 that lasted until the 1940s. The Memorial Hall was built in 1947 and is still used today.
“Ardrossan had its beginnings in 1909 as a GTPR stop. The post office opened the same year. Miss Edmiston, a local resident, named it for a holiday resort town in Strathclyde, Scotland. The name is from the Gaelic, meaning “height of the little cape.” Now a hamlet, it is under the jurisdiction of Strathcona County.” (Article from Heritage Community Foundation.) Source: University of Alberta Libraries.
“Ardrossan was always very community minded and its first community hall was Orange Hall, built in 1913. By the 1940s, it was worse for wear and in 1947 the Memorial Hall was built.” (Article in the Sherwood Park News, August 23, 2013) Read more about the history of Auld Ardrossan !
ARAS continues the Ardrossan pioneer spirit - to enhance the quality of rural life!
Operating the Ardrossan Memorial Hall – used for meetings and functions
Organizing the Ardrossan Old Fashioned Parade & Picnic – which began in the 1940s
Continuing the Lobster Dinner & Dance – which began in 1989 as a fundraiser to build the Ardrossan Community Theatre
Supporting many Ardrossan community group programs & activities